Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon (2011–2018)
|Awards||Awards8 wins & 7 nominations|
|Company||4 Lions Films|
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? (transl. What should I call this love? English title: Unforeseen Love) is an Indian Hindi-language romantic drama television series that aired on Star Plus from 6 June 2011 to 30 November 2012. Produced by Gul Khan under 4 Lions Films, it starred Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani.
On 24 November 2015, Hotstar launched an eight episode web series, Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon – Ek Jashn, to extend the Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? storyline. Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani reprised their respective roles as Arnav and Khushi.
This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Condense long-winded sentences, remove trivia, fix contractions and editorializing, etc. (October 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The story revolves around a business tycoon, Arnav Singh Raizada, and a middle-class girl from Lucknow, Khushi Kumari Gupta.
Khushi stumbles into Arnav in Lucknow after mistakenly crashing one of his promotional fashion events. This delays her duties for her sister Payal's wedding, which leads it to getting cancelled. Rebuked by society, Khushi's adoptive parents decide to send Payal and her to live with their paternal aunt in Delhi. Khushi is adopted because her parents had died in a car crash when she was really young. Her maternal aunt and uncle decided to take her in.
Working a small job selling designer sarees, Khushi lands up at Shanti Van AKA Raizada house. Arnav's sister Anjali (has a walking problem) and his maternal grandmother, Devyani Devi, take a liking to her.
Back at her aunt's, Anjali's husband Shyam who has been stalking Khushi from Lucknow reaches her place to live as a paying guest. He poses as a bachelor wanting to get engaged to her when he is actually married to Anjali. Khushi asks Shyam to help her get a job and she reaches ASR (Arnav Singh Raizada) office, which is handled by Arnav. They meet again and she irritates Arnav with her clumsiness. He wants to get her fired as soon as possible. Khushi not wanting to give up taunts Arnav and eventually they sign a 15 day contract. During this time period he tortures her by making her stand in the rain and directing cars, accidently sending her to a broken down building that could collapse any second and many other hard tasks. She eventually resigns after he sister convinces her. Khushi and her sister decide to go back to Lucknow. But in the middle of the way Devi Maiya (a Goddess) gives Khushi a sign and they decide to go back and open a sweet shop. She eventually runs into Arnav again when she made sweets for his sister Anjali's wedding anniversary.
At Raizada house Anjali wants Khushi to groom Lavanya, with whom Arnav is in a liv-in relationship. Out from office, Khushi now visits Shanti Van daily, irritating Arnav further. Khushi's funny antics and her lively behavior wins over the Raizada family and even Arnav starts developing a soft corner for her. Meanwhile Khushi's father discovers Shyam's secret and is about to reveal it when Shyam tortures him into partial paralysis. He is unable to tell the family anything and as a male authority to "secure" the family Shyam proposes engagement to Khushi. She accepts under family pressure. Due to frequently visiting the Raizada house, Khushi later finds out about Shyam and breaks off their alliance.
Arnav slowly realizes he is in love with Khushi and Khushi also discovers she loves Arnav, much to the irritation of Shyam who observes Khushi around the house. Meanwhile, Arnav's cousin Aakash falls in love with Khushi's sister Payal. Despite facing a lot of opposition from his elitist mother Manorama the family approves their alliance and they get engaged. Lavanya realizes that Arnav likes Khushi and decides to leave just before their engagement. On the day of their wedding Arnav discovers Shyam pleading Khushi to marry him and misinterprets the situation. To save his now pregnant sister's marital life he blackmails Khushi, keeping Payal's wedding at stake. Arnav asks Khushi to marry him for 6 months (a contract marriage). To save Payal's wedding Khushi marries him.
Khushi and Arnav have a love-hate relationship in their marital life, constantly bickering but also caring for each other. Khushi brings Arnav to her aunt's house to irk him more but bond through their time together. She starts to wonder why Arnav married her and decides to commit suicide. Arnav saves her and tells her why he married her in a rush. She tries to justify her innocence but he does not believe her.
Shyam, greedy for the Raizada estate and industries plans to murder Arnav and arranges his abduction but Khushi manages to rescue him with the help of his NRI cousin (Nandkishore or NK). Arnav comes home, exposes Shyam and throws him out. This causes Anjali to fall into depression. Nani advises Khushi to stay away from Anjali for some time so that she could heal herself as Anjali thinks that Khushi is the reason for her separation from her husband.
Anjali and Shyam
Anjali who has now secretly started meeting Shyam starts talking with Khushi again. Meanwhile, Anjali and Arnav's paternal grandmother, Subhadra Devi, returns. She is not happy with Khushi from their first meeting because Khushi threw dirty water on Dadi. Khushi faces several oppositions from Dadi but Arnav supports her. One day during the Janamashtmi ritual, Khushi realizes that her marriage is not complete as they hadn't had any rituals and thus asks Arnav to complete their marriage with full rituals. This is overheard by Dadi who insults Khushi for the same and so, Khushi and Arnav plan to marry in an elaborate ceremony which is not liked by Dadi. She wants to call off the alliance. She also wants Shyam to return as she does not believe in divorces. She meets Khushi's family except for her mom. Khushi's mom doesn't want to meet Dadi as it is later revealed that Khushi's mom was Arnav's father's mistress and the reason Arnav's parents' marriage fell apart and resulting in them committing suicide. Shyam who is planning for his return to Shanti Van plots Anjali's miscarriage during the Mehndi ceremony of Arnav and Khushi.
Khushi feeling sad and helpless decides to bring Shyam back for Anjali's happiness. This creates a rift between her and Arnav but soon they clear all of their misunderstandings and have an intimate night at Arnav's bachelor party.
On the day of their wedding Dadi reveals that the reason for the suicide of Arnav's parents was Khushi's mom. Arnav who is shocked by the truth doesn't come to the wedding hall. He initially breaks off the marriage but later understands Khushi's mother was not aware of his father's marriage and returns. Arnav and Khushi get married in a beautiful ceremony. On their first night they both discover secret cameras hidden in their room which they found to be plotted by Shyam. They further discover that it was Shyam who is responsible for Anjali's miscarriage and trauma, and find proof of it. They expose Shyam together and Anjali finally throws Shyam out of the house.
Arnav's college friend Sheetal drops in with Aarav, disguising him as Arnav's "son" to inherit Arnav's property. Arnav exposes her and they adopt Aarav. Khushi later runs for a beauty pageant for married women and with Arnav's motivation wins it.
In 2015, Hotstar released an extension of an eight episode series. Arnav has forgotten their 3rd wedding anniversary and this causes Khushi to leave for Lucknow. Throughout the series, it is revealed that Anjali is running an NGO, Payal is revealed to be pregnant, Mami Ji started a business and Khushi and Arnav are happily living together and celebrating their 3rd wedding anniversary.
- Barun Sobti as Arnav Singh Raizada: Khushi's husband, Anjali's younger brother, Akash's paternal cousin (2011–2012)
- Sanaya Irani as Khushi Kumari Gupta: Arnav's wife, Garmia's sister's daughter, Garima and Shashi's adopted daughter, Payal's younger sister (2011–2012)
- Dalljiet Kaur as Anjali Singh Raizada: Shyam's wife, Arnav's elder sister, Akash's paternal cousin (2011–12)
- Abhaas Mehta as Shyam Jha: Anjali's husband, Arnav's brother-in-law, Khushi's former fiancé (2011–12)
- Deepali Pansare as Payal Kumari Gupta: Akash's wife, Shashi's daughter, Garima's adopted daughter, Khushi's elder sister (2011–12)
- Akshay Dogra as Akash Singh Raizada: Payals' husband, Manorama and Manohar's son, Anjali and Arnav's maternal cousin (2011–12)
- Jayshree T. as Devyani Devi: Anjali and Arnav's maternal grandmother and Akash's paternal grandmother, Manorama's mother-in-law, Khushi's maternal grandmother-in-law, Payal's paternal grandmother-in-law, Subhadra's childhood friend (2011–12)
- Sanjay Batra as Shashi Gupta: Garima's husband, Payal's father, Khushi's adopted father and maternal uncle-in-law, Madumati's younger brother (2011–12)
- Tuhinaa Vohra/Pyumori Mehta as Garima Gupta: Shashi's 2nd wife, Payal and Khushi's adopted mother, Khushi's maternal aunt (2011–12)
- Abha Parmar as Madhumati Gupta: Shashi's elder sister, Payal's paternal aunt, Khushi's adopted paternal aunt (2011–12)
- Utkarsha Naik as Manorama Singh Raizada: Manohar's wife, Akash's mother, Payal's mother-in-law, NK's maternal aunt, Anjali and Arnav's maternal aunt-in-law (2011–12)
- Rajesh Jais as Manohar Singh Raizada: Manorama's husband, Devyani's son, Akash's father, Anjali and Arnav's maternal uncle, Payal's father-in-law. (2011–12)
- Karan Goddwani as Nand Kishore aka NK: Manorama's sister's son, Akash's maternal cousin. (2011–12)
- Vishesh Bansal as Aarav Singh Raizada, Arnav and Khushi's adopted son. (2012)
- Sana Makbul as Lavanya Kashyap, Arnav's ex-girlfriend. (2011)
- Roshni Rastogi as Aradhya Naveli (2011)
- Swati Chitnis as Subhadra Devi: Anjali and Arnav's paternal grandmother, Khushi's paternal grandmother-in-law, Devyani's childhood friend (2012)
- Dhriti Bhatia as Bubbly (2012)
- Dinesh Nag as Hari Prasad "HP" Yadav (2012)
- Madhura Naik as Sheetal Kapoor (2012)
- Zuber Khan as Rahim Mirza (2012)
- Amit Dua as Vikrant, co-organizer of the Ms. India Contest (2012)
- Gaurav Muskesh as reporter
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2021) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Manasi Parekh as Gulaal, Guest (2011)
- Hanif Hilal as Guest (Dance performance to Character Dheela for Anjali-Shyam's anniversary) (2011)
- Nicole Alvares as Guest (Dance performance to Character Dheela for Anjali-Shyam's anniversary) (2011)
- Krystle D'Souza as Jeevika, Guest (2011)
- Nia Sharma as Manvi, Guest (2011)
- Karan Tacker as Viren, Guest (2011)
- Deepika Singh as Sandhya, Guest (2011)
- Pooja Gor as Pratigya, Guest (2011)
- Devoleena Bhattacharjee as Gopi, Guest (2012)
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||398||6 June 2011||30 November 2012|
|Extension||8||24 November 2015||15 December 2015|
The show was produced and directed by Gul Khan under the banner of 4 Lions Films. Barun Sobti was cast as Arnav Singh Raizada after the original choice, Karan Singh Grover, opted out of the role to focus on his film career and Sanaya Irani replaced Shraddha Arya who had originally been cast as the female lead. Daljeet Kaur, Deepali Pansare & Akshay Dogra were finalized to play supporting roles to the main leads. Other supporting cast include Jayshree T., Tuhina Vohra, Abha Parmar, Utkarsha Naik, Sanjay Batra and many other actors. Abhaas Mehta and Sana Makbul entered the show as antagonists of the show. Sana later quit the show in December 2011.
When Barun Sobti announced his break from the show due to health problems, fans of the series requested the production team to shut down the show on a happy note rather than any replacement.
International and national broadcast
The series inspired several international remakes, which include Bojhena Se Bojhena in Bengali on Star Jalsha and as Arangini in Kannada on Suvarna channel. Tamil as Idhu Kadhala on Star Vijay, Telugu as Chuppulu Kalisina Shubhavela on Star Maa, Malayalam as Mounam Sammatham on Asianet, Asianet plus, Kazakh as Kak Nazvat Bul Lyubov?, Arabic as من النظرة الثانية, Vietnamese as Mối Tình Kì Lạ on HTV3, French as La Promesse on Reunion 1ere. Turkish as Bir Garip Ask, Indonesian as Khushi on Indosiar, Bulgarian as Diema Family, Georgian as Mojadoebulebi, Lithuanian as Neklausk Meiles Vardo, Russian as How Do I Call This Love, and Armenian as Inchpes Kochel Ays Sere, aired in Jamaica as Unforeseen Love on one of the two free-to-air channels in the country which is CVM Television and airs in Namibia into NBC3 as Strange Love. On 19 March 2018, the series dubbed in Spanish as Duele Amar and telecasted on Panamericana Televisión. The show is being re-broadcast in the morning slot from 29 November onwards.
In 2015, Hotstar launched a finite web series of eight episodes titled Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? - Ek Jashn with the original cast and the characters. The story revolves around Arnav and Khushi's married life after three years.
In week 15 to 21 of 2011, it entered top ten Hindi GEC list garnering 2.6 TVR occupying ninth position.
Awards and nominations
|2012||Gold Awards||Face of the Year||Sanaya Irani||Won|
|Best Actress (Popular)||Nominated|
|Indian Television Academy Awards||Best Actor (Popular)||Barun Sobti||Won|
|Best Actress (Popular)||Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|Indian Telly Awards||Best Actor in Negative Role||Abhaas Mehta||Nominated|
|Personality of the Year||Barun Sobti|
|Best on Screen Couple||Barun Sobti & Sanaya Irani||Won|
|People's Choice Awards India||Favorite Actor (Drama)||Barun Sobti||Won|
|Favorite on Screen Jodi||Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani|
|2013||Indian Telly Awards||Best Actress||Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|Best Actor in a Negative Role||Abhaas Mehta|
|Best Actress in a Comic Role||Utkarsha Naik|
|Best Actress in a Comic Role (Jury)|