Ghosts (2021– )
|Company||BBC Studios, CBS Studios, Lionsgate|
Ghosts (2021 TV series)
Ghosts is an American television sitcom adapted from the British series of the same name, created by Mathew Baynton, Simon Farnaby, Martha Howe-Douglas, Jim Howick, Laurence Rickard, and Ben Willbond for CBS. It premiered on October 7, 2021. In October 2021, the series was given a full season order.
Married New Yorkers Samantha and Jay believe that their dreams have come true in receiving a beautiful country house, only to find that it is falling apart and inhabited by a number of deceased previous residents. Following a near-death experience, Samantha can see and hear the ghosts, but Jay cannot.
- Rose McIver as Samantha, a freelance journalist who, after an accident that leaves her close to death, revives with the ability to see ghosts everywhere.
- Utkarsh Ambudkar as Jay, Samantha's husband and an unemployed chef.
- Brandon Scott Jones as Isaac, a flamboyant Revolutionary War veteran who died of dysentery two weeks after the siege of Fort Ticonderoga and is a footnote in history.
- Richie Moriarty as Pete, a Boy Scout leader who died in 1985 from being shot through the neck with an arrow.
- Asher Grodman as Trevor, the most recently deceased of the ghosts, a wealthy, hard-partying Wall Street trader who died not wearing pants. Unlike other ghosts, he can interact with the physical world by putting great effort into moving small objects or pressing buttons.
- Rebecca Wisocky as Hetty, the lady of the manor, the original owner of the Woodstone country estate.
- Sheila Carrasco as Flower, a hippie who died while trying to befriend a wild bear.
- Danielle Pinnock as Alberta, a dramatic flapper singer who thinks she was murdered, but may have died of a simple heart attack.
- Roman Zaragoza as Sasappis, a cynical Lenape Native American.
- Devan Chandler Long as Thorfinn, a Viking who died of a lightning strike.
- Hudson Thames as Crash, a 1950's era James Dean style ghost who was decapitated. The character has so far only appeared in 'Pilot' and briefly in the background of 'Halloween', but CBS has suggested he may return in future episodes.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers|
|1||"Pilot"||Trent O'Donnell||Joe Port & Joe Wiseman||October 7, 2021||5.52|
|2||"Hello!"||Trent O'Donnell||Joe Port & Joe Wiseman||October 7, 2021||5.52|
|3||"Viking Funeral"||Trent O'Donnell||Josh Malmuth||October 14, 2021||5.27|
|4||"Dinner Party"||Trent O'Donnell||John Blickstead & Trey Kollmer||October 21, 2021||5.20|
|5||"Halloween"||Katie Locke O'Brien||Talia Bernstein||October 28, 2021||5.76|
|6||"Pete's Wife"||Trent O'Donnell||Kira Kalush||November 4, 2021||TBD|
|7||"Flower's Article"||Katie Locke O'Brien||Emily Schmidt||November 11, 2021||TBD|
|8||"D&D"||TBA||TBA||November 18, 2021||TBD|
On November 29, 2019, CBS announced that they were developing an adaptation of the BBC One series Ghosts. On February 4, 2020, it was announced that the pilot had been picked up by CBS Studios and was co-produced with BBC Studios and Lionsgate Television. On March 31, 2021, it was announced that the adaptation has been picked up for a full series. In July 2021, it was announced that the series would premiere as a Thursday-night entry on October 7, 2021. On September 23, 2021, CBS changed the premiere to back-to-back episodes. On October 21, 2021, CBS gave the series a full season order.
On March 4, 2020, Rose McIver was cast in a leading role for the pilot. On July 1, 2020, Utkarsh Ambudkar was cast in a main role for the pilot. On December 9, 2020, Brandon Scott Jones, Richie Moriarty, Asher Grodman, Rebecca Wisocky, Sheila Carrasco, Danielle Pinnock and Roman Zaragoza were cast in main roles for the pilot. On May 12, 2021, Devan Chandler Long joined the cast as a series regular.
The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 93% approval rating with an average rating of 7.7/10, based on 15 critic reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "Ghosts could stand to ask more of its characters, but an excellent ensemble and a genial wit make for easy, softly spooky viewing." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 71 out of 100 based on 9 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
|1–2||"Pilot" / "Hello!"||October 7, 2021||0.6||5.52||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|3||"Viking Funeral"||October 14, 2021||0.6||5.27||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|4||"Dinner Party"||October 21, 2021||0.5||5.20||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|5||"Halloween"||October 28, 2021||0.6||5.76||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|