The Flintstone Kids (1986–1990)
|Creator||Barry E. Blitzer|
|Genre||Animation, Comedy, Family|
|Content Rating||TV-Y (TV-Y)|
The Flintstone Kids
The Flintstone Kids is an American animated television series produced by Hanna-Barbera. It is an alternative incarnation of the studio's original animated series The Flintstones. The series depicts juvenile versions of the main characters from the original show. It aired from September 6, 1986 to May 21, 1988 on ABC and as part of the weekday/weekend morning programming block The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera. Unlike the previous shows, this was the first Flintstone series not to have a laugh track.
Cavey Jr. also appears in Jellystone! voiced by Dana Snyder.
The program follows the adventures of Fred Flintstone, Barney Rubble, Wilma Slaghoople, Betty McBricker and Dino as tweens as they share their preadolescence with their friends Nate Slate, Philo Quartz and Dreamchip Gemstone, and deal with their bully Rocky Ratrock and his group consisting of Tommy, Flab Slab, Janet Granite and Rocky's dog Stalagbite.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||43||26||September 6, 1986||May 27, 1987|
|2||22||8||September 4, 1987||May 21, 1988|
This series featured the following segments:
- The Flintstone Kids: The "main" segment of the show. It would either be a single 21-minute episode or a 7-minute segment.
- Flintstone Funnies: Freddy, Barney, Wilma and Betty dream of exciting fantasy adventures. This segment was dropped in the second season.
- Dino's Dilemmas: The adventures and misadventures of Freddy's pet dinosaur Dino.
- Captain Caveman and Son: The adventures of Captain Caveman with his son Cavey Jr. as they fight bad guys like the evil genius Mr. Bad. This segment was actually a "show within a show" whereby Captain Caveman and Son is a TV show watched by the main characters, where the "fourth wall" is broken frequently.
- Charlie Adler as Cavey Jr., Armored Car Robber (in "Captain Knaveman")
- Bever-Leigh Banfield as Mayor of Bedrock
- Michael Bell as Mr. Billy Bad
- Mel Blanc as Dino, Bob Rubble, Captain Caveman, Piggy McGrabit (in "Greed It and Weep," "Captain Cavedog")
- Susan Blu as Dreamchip Gemstone, Janet Granite, Mrs. Gemstone
- Hamilton Camp as Barney Rubble, Flab Slab
- Henry Corden as Ed Flintstone, Edna Flintstone
- Julie Dees as Wilma Slaghoople (1986–1987), Mica Slaghoople, Mickey Slaghoople, Tommy
- June Foray as Grandma Cavemom
- Elizabeth Lyn Fraser as Wilma Slaghoople (1987–1988)
- Dana Hill as Criminal (in "Captain Knaveman")
- Buster Jones as Officer Quartz
- Kenneth Mars as Narrator ("Captain Caveman and Son" segments), Armored Car Robber (in "Captain Knaveman"), Museum Robber (in "Captain Knaveman")
- Scott Menville as Freddy Flintstone (1987–1988)
- Bumper Robinson as Philo Quartz
- Michael Rye as Mr. Slaghoople
- Ronnie Schell as Yuckster (in "A Tale of Too Silly," "Day of the Villains," "The Cream -Pier Strikes Back," "Captain Cavedog")
- Marilyn Schreffler as Rocky Ratrock, Flo Rubble
- John Stephenson as Mr. Gemstone, Ditto Master (in "The Ditto Master," "Day of the Villains")
- Jean Vander Pyl as Pearl Pebble-Slaghoople
- B.J. Ward as Betty McBricker, Mrs. Rockbottom
- Beau Weaver as Beaver (Season 1 only)
- Lennie Weinrib as Freddy Flintstone (1986–1987), Police Commissioner
- Frank Welker as Nate Slate, Stalagbite, Fang, fill-ins for Dino and Bob Rubble, Thug (in "Captain Knaveman")
On May 4, 2010, Warner Home Video released Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s, Volume 1, a compilation release which features episodes from various 80's cartoons including an episode from The Flintstone Kids. On March 11, 2014, Warner Home Video released The Flintstone Kids: Rockin' in Bedrock, a 2-disc set featuring 10 episodes from the first season, on DVD in Region 1.
Common Sense Media gave the series a three out of five stars, saying: "Bedrock, the early years: cute and more P.C."
In 1988, Mary Jo Ludin and Lane Raichert were given the Humanitas Prize for the show's episode "Rocky's Rocky Road".